Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Distinguishing People Pressure from God's Will

I'm involved in many things as a leader that put me in the crosshairs of people who have influence and an agenda. I make the mistake more often than I would like of misjudging both. I'm not the only one. Many of us both over-estimate the power of other people and over-accommodate their agendas. Undiscerning Christian spirituality mixes with this to leave many of us further confused. Is this powerful person's agenda really God's will? The answer is always "no!" Get that straight. Being pushed by a person -- and some people have an amazing, subtle ability to push -- is never the same as being drawn by God. You seek God's will by seeking God, not by seeking to please a person whose pleasure you believe will be to your advantage. If you're being pushed by a human being, it may be a sign that your walk with Christ has taken on a limp. Whenever I'm not praying, not in the Word, not "living with" other believers regularly, I'm vulnerable to lesser gods. Yes, that's where this points. If we're not with God, then someone lesser will take His place in our conscience. This is so dangerous. In the end, it's never the bully's fault. We can't be bullied without our cooperation.

God puts it clearly to begin His Ten Commandments:

"You shall have no other Gods before Me." Exodus 20:3

Amen.

PS - Thanks for the feedback on the blog. We'll see. I think I'll at least blog more; this may evolve into a daily or close to daily blog. It's worth doing if it makes a difference for someone, like anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment